Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Forgotten Movies: ROOM AT THE TOP

I am a sucker for these old British movies from the fifties and sixties. This reminds me a bit of AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY except it's a British one.
A young man gets a good job in a mill town after completing his WW 2 service. Two women enter his life. One is the daughter of a town bigwig, who sees little to like in the young man. The other is an older woman, married, with a brute of a husband. Harvey is perfect in the role and Signoret won an Oscar for her part. She is sad and seductive. Quite a good movie if a hair long. And it is hard to see why Harvey, even initially, was so seduced by the younger woman. She is ordinariness personified but maybe that's what he needs. 

6 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

It's been decades since I've seen it and I only remember the basic outline. I've never found Harvey to be a very sympathetic actor.

Apparently, the film also won a Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And he is not meant to be sympathetic here. But the two women are more sympathetic.

Unknown said...

You can advertise your business by adding as several facebook likes as you can, as folks constantly seek brands and products that have whole lot of likes on facebook. buy real usa facebook likes

Cap'n Bob said...

You've been spammed, Patti.

Instagram Features said...

The post is very nice. I just shared on my Facebook Account.

Buying Facebook Video Views said...

I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing.