Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The House Shapes Up to the Tune of $$$

After a month, the notion that we just had a few fixes has gone horribly awry. Some touchup exterior painting has turned into painting the whole house although just trim. Replacing an island has turned into a complete kitchen update. Some trees that looked battered as the result of two hard winters will have to come down. (40 feet high pines) A number of issues have been resolved but the list grows longer and longer.

Okay, give me your guesstimates for replacing the kitchen cabinets with maple cabinets. Redoing the formica counters with granite or that newer stuff-can't think of the name. Putting in a new island with a new range in the middle. Moving a fridge and extending the counter to take its place. And of course, some odds and end painting and fixing. We'll get the bill tomorrow. The only new appliance will be the range. Oh, replacing the closet door with something more attractive. On the bright side, we already redid the slate for $1200.The part of the kitchen with cabinets is roughly 12 x 16.

I want to know whether to be shocked or not. I realize different areas have different prices but just an overall guess.



12 comments:

Unknown said...

Someone told me when I explored the kitchen cabinet option in my home that I should count on at least $300 (with two or three times more being possible) for each linear foot. Enjoy the joys of home-ownership! See the linked site for more information.
http://cakitchent.com/cost-of-kitchen-cabinets-per-linear-foot/

Deb said...

A complete kitchen reno can run from $10,000 to $15,000; it doesn't sound as if you're doing an entire renovation, but for everything you've listed, I'd expect to pay at least $5,000, possibly $7,000. This is the reason that we haven't redone our kitchen or bathrooms in 15 years!

My theory of time and money, which has never let me down yet, is no matter how much time and/or money you think something will take , always factor in 50% more.

Also, as someone who had (a neighbor's) tree on my roof and all the subsequent repairs, get those trees taken down regardless of cost. If I could go back in time, I would have offered to pay to have my neighbor's tree taken down as it had been struck by lightening the year before and was too weak to withstand high winds.

Al Tucher said...

I live in a coop apartment in central NJ, and my neighbor just redid her kitchen for $25K. That included all new appliances, but she kept her old floor. I need to do my kitchen ( my bathroom cost me $15K 8 years ago), but sticker shock is, well, shocking me.

pattinase (abbott) said...

We are keeping the floor and all of the appliances except the stove. I am thinking it will be around that. My husband is reeling because we have never done anything this big in 48 years of marriage.

seana graham said...

Better get cracking with those book sales then.

Gerard said...

I won't guess but know the anxiety. Ten years ago we bought a 100-year-old house and are still doing improvements.

Cap'n Bob said...

I'd say $20,000. More if you get all new appliances.

George Kelley said...

I'd estimate $25,000. You can't take it with you. Fix up your house and enjoy it!

Jeff Meyerson said...

My cousin did her entire kitchen a few years ago. It involved ripping everything out and replacing it with high end everything including a tile floor. It was at least $50,000. Jackie thinks Deb's estimate sounds like the right range, maybe up to $10K?

We spent $700 on our kitchen. Renting is good.

;)


Jeff M.

Rick Robinson said...

I'm in agreement, with the 15 - 25 guesses. We redid (a word?) our kitchen in SoCal in 2009. New countertops (granite), new cabinets top and bottom (ash), new sink, faucets,, new stove, new microwave, new fridge, added a small pantry, repaint. $21 thousand. One of the most fun parts was going to the granite yard, picking the stone, then going to the plant, laying out the stencils and watching it cut into our counter tops. Remember if you add an island you'll be running (by Code) electric to it. Don't skim on extra outlets around the sides!!

We had the new fridge delivered first, and had it put into our bedroom when work started. We had cold and frozen, just no ice maker. We grille everything we could, which was a lot, and ate out a lot and had a lot of sandwiches and fruit, but it worked out. Worst was washing dishes in the bathroom sink!

pattinase (abbott) said...

About $23000 including a new range which will be in the island. I was happy. 4-6 weeks to get the stuff and 4-6 weeks to do. So by the end of Sept. we should be cooking.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I missed the whole list (didn't notice the range) so this seems reasonable (at least for this day and age).

Jeff M.